Healthy Skincare for Fall — Skin Repair and Rejuvination
Healthy skin care during the summer months is a challenge, especially in sunny California! No matter how vigilant one is with sunscreen, the hot, dry, summer weather takes its toll on our skin. The change in season as we transition to Fall also presents challenges for our skincare regime. As we shed the damage done by the summer, we face new challenges with colder air, wind, dampness, and artificial heat. Here are some steps that you can take to repair damaged skin and rejuvenate your complexion for a healthy glow:
- Its natural to start drinking less water as the temperatures drop, however, drinking plenty of water or herbal tea will keep your skin hydrated. Drink at least eight — 8oz. glasses of fluid a day.
- Keep water lukewarm for washing. Hot water robs your skin of moisture. If your skin turns red while washing, you are loosing moisture. Follow every washing with a good, nutrient rich moisturizer.
- Exfoliate. A salt or sugar scrub will help to slough off the damaged layers and will allow the new layers to take in moisturizer more efficiently.
- The skin externally reflects the health of the body. Eating a diet rich in Omega 3-fatty acids; foods such as walnuts, flaxseeds, almonds salmon, soy, navy and kidney beans will give your skin that fresh, moisture-rich glow.
- Many of my clients are telling me that they are already feeling the seasonal changes in their sleep patterns. Getting more sleep is a GOOD thing! In fact, its a must for rejuvenation.
- Stimulating acupuncture/acupressure points on the face will increase energy flow, activate the blood and lymph to foster a healthy complexion. Acupuncture will promote collagen production to increase skin tone and elasticity. The image on the right shows the points to be massaged with a gentle, but firm pressure for 30 to 60 seconds. This should be done three times per week.
If you don’t get acupuncture treatments on a regular basis to maintain good health, I recommend a seasonal “tune-up” or at the very least make an appointment for a Facial Rejuvenation. Your face and your body will thank you.